Alaska Notary Public Office
There are two ways to apply for a notary commission:
- Online, if you meet these qualifications. → →
- OR, mail in the hard copy originals of the required application materials and the $40.00 application fee.
To apply for a notary commission online, you will need a personal myAlaska account, internet access, a valid email address that accepts PDF attachments, the ability to open and print a PDF file, scan and upload your bond and oath of office documents and also pay the $40.00 application fee using a credit or debit card.
Online application steps:
- Acquire your notary bond first (or employer approval form in the case of government commissions) before you continue with the application process. All regular commissions require new notary bonds so starting this process before you have a notary bond will only slow things down for you in the long run because consolidating the missing pieces of your application at different times takes us more time than processing an application that meets all of the requirements. If you are not sure what a notary bond is, or if you have one or not, go back to whoever is asking you to become a notary for assistance in rounding up that required notary bond.
- When you have your notary bond or employer approval, load up the notary database and click on the “Apply for Commission” button on the right side of the page.
- Select the type of commission you are applying for and fill out the Commission Information, Personal Information and Employer/Business Information sections completely. Your personal residence address is required by law but will remain confidential (unless you also use it as your publicly available mailing address and/or specifically select it for publication).
- Scan and upload your notary bond or employer approval form and click the “Submit Application” button at the bottom of the page. As soon as you submit your application you will receive an email message from the database containing a customized notary public oath of office form attached as a PDF file.
- Print your oath of office form and have your signature on the oath of office notarized.
- Click the link provided in the oath of office email message to return to the database to complete your application. Scan and upload your completed notary public oath of office and pay the $40.00 application fee (the fee is waived for State of Alaska employees applying for limited governmental notary commissions.)
- We will review your application and contact you by email if there are any problems. When your application has been approved and issued you will receive a final email message confirming that your commission has been issued. This email message will also have a PDF copy of your commission certificate attached (to help speed up the purchase of your notary seal if the vendor requires a copy of your certificate as part of that process.)
- We will also mail you a hard copy notary commission certificate to the “publicly available” mailing address you provided. To verify that you are providing the public with a valid mailing address, your printed hard copy commission certificate can only be mailed the public mailing address you provide.
If you have any questions, problems or need help with the application process please call 465-3509 or email the notary office for assistance.
For personal assistance please call the notary office at (907) 465-3509 (or 877-764-1234 toll free in Alaska,) or contact us by email at email@example.com